Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 27 Vote(s) - 2.81 Average

Display problems on Freeview channel 33

Censorship :-( Away
Sadly, no more caps. :-(

RE: Display problems on Freeview channel 33
Thanks for that, Josh. Big Grin

Yep, that proves it; as far as I can tell, they are still shooting BS in 4:3, then stretching to 16:9, but unlike on $ky, Freeview is getting a centre cut, broadcast as 4:3, which means that, as I, vila, and others have said all along, it cannot be corrected by the viewer. annoyed annoyed annoyed

What have you done to the edited $kycap, Josh? Cropped the sides to try and match Freeview size? Have you tried manually switching $ky to 4:3, to see if they are doing as they used to with PP on Freeview, i.e. 4:3 broadcast with 16:9 switching signal, which could be corrected by the viewer.

PL & PP are both 16F16, and are displayed corretly, automatically. Why have they fucked up BS? annoyed

Great work, Josh.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2009 12:12 by Censorship :-(.)
07-06-2009 11:16
Find all posts by this user

TheWatcher Wrote:I found I could actually set my widescreen freeview tv to display a non stretched pic.
However this is the cropped 4:3 picture plus large black bands at the sides.
I am still unable to see a non cropped pic on any of my freeview receivers.
The box in the top right corner is never fully displayed.

How is your TV set up - does it automatically display everything fullscreen, or does it display incomng signals correcty? If the latter, BS should display as 4:3.
07-06-2009 11:24
ClownSpank Offline
Senior Poster

yup, still messed up, how is shandyman not getting that on freeview we're getting a "cut out" version.

i'm watching freeview through a 4:3 tv set to 4:3L(letterbox) but even if i change it to display 4:3 i get the same, and if i try 16:9 it gets even worse.

downstairs on my 50" widescreen through sky it displays how it should though, which is still crap as they're clearly shooting in 4:3 but displaying it as widescreen, luckily my tv can be set to auto detect settings and switches my telly to display correct, quality is still crap though, and i don't watch these channels on that tv so i'm still screwed lol
07-06-2009 11:42
TheWatcher Offline
Ex Moderator

Censorship :-( Wrote:
TheWatcher Wrote:I found I could actually set my widescreen freeview tv to display a non stretched pic.
However this is the cropped 4:3 picture plus large black bands at the sides.
I am still unable to see a non cropped pic on any of my freeview receivers.
The box in the top right corner is never fully displayed.

How is your TV set up - does it automatically display everything fullscreen, or does it display incomng signals correcty? If the latter, BS should display as 4:3.
Just done some more testing on my bedroom widescreen tv. I have not had it for long.
In auto mode, all 4:3 transmissions on all channels get stretched, not just BS. Not noticed this before since most programs are now widescreen.
Whatever the display is set to, the box in the top right corner is never fully displayed.
This box was displayed in full a couple of weeks ago.
Re-posting these pics (as seen on non widescreen tv)
The image on left is how it was on freeview before last week.
The image on right is how it is now. The top box has been moved to right and Camilla is chopped in half!
Click on pic to enlarge.
free image host free image host

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com
07-06-2009 12:45
Josh Offline
Posting Machine

4:3 Sky Cap

[Image: snapshot6f3d.jpg]
A true reflection of Tiffany.

vila Wrote:Well that is a surprise! The top Sky picture looks the most distorted of the lot and exactly like the image on TVAlways. So the problem goes right to the source of the BS1 picture. I'm still convinced that they're shooting 4:3 and transmitting it coded for 16:9.

The distortion of the 16:9 Sky cap could be due to the software that I am using to play back the recording. Its normally sorted out during the editing phase to give a true 16.9 picture.

As I have sky, its not a big issue for me. Of greater concern is the poor picture quality. Picture is still grainy(sky) and when stood against the walls, the girls give off a glow(more so on freeview). Its tough to remove during editing. Freeview offers better picture quality compared to Sky. Thats why I use freeview to record vids. I can live with a bit of cropping for better picture quality.

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2009 14:52 by Josh.)
07-06-2009 14:51
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
vila Offline
Viewers' Champion

RE: Babestation on Freeview channel 33
Censorship :-( Wrote:
Censorship :-( Wrote:A straw poll - out of those who claim to be seeing a correct image, do you use a 4:3 or 16:9 TV?

Equally, those who see an uncorrectable, dstorted image, 4:3 or 16:9 TV?

Me? uncorrectably distorted on 16:9 TV
Likewise.

Edit:

I think the absolutely crucial factor in all of this is the changing of PP and TVAlways from 4:3 to 16:9 three days ago. Up until that time none of us had any problems that we could not correct.

Before the changeover my PP picture was 4:3 which I had to manually adjust to display correctly on my screen and displayed as 4:3 on TVAlways. It is now a genuine 16:9 which displays automatically on my screen and is also correctly displayed on TVAlways.

Before the changeover my BS picture was 4:3 which was automatically correctly displayed on my screen and displayed as 4:3 on TVAlways. It is now a stretched 16:9 image which is cropped to 4:3 on my screen and cannot be corrected and displays as a stretched 16:9 image on TVAlways.

These characteristics are exactly the same on both my Sony 16:9 flat screen TV and the Pioneer digibox which I use for recording.

I think the situation is very straightforward. They have changed the coding of the studio output to that required for PP’s genuine 16:9 picture but are also using the same settings for BS’s 4:3 picture.

Shandyman is using a fairly old TV which is displaying the picture differently from the more modern sets which I think the rest of us are using. I remember that when widescreen TV first arrived there were problems in displaying a 4:3 image on some sets because they were only set up for 16:9 and could not recognise the 4:3 ratio. They therefore simply stretched the received image into a 16:9 picture. If Shandyman’s TV is one of the sets affected in this way it would explain why he gets the full image on his screen and the rest of us get the problems. Our sets are trying to correct an image they know is wrong but his set is unable to detect that the image is wrong and just puts it onscreen as is.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2009 16:07 by vila.)
07-06-2009 15:06
vila Offline
Viewers' Champion

[split] Babestation on Freeview channel 33
Just been looking at TVAlways - I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the picture is still fucked up.
07-06-2009 23:19

RE: Babestation on Freeview channel 33
vila Wrote:Just been looking at TVAlways - I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the picture is still fucked up.

Sadly, you're not wrong annoyed
08-06-2009 01:31

As mentioned previously, I think Shandyman’s caps show a distorted image (he disagrees, however), which leaves the question of the boxout; You’ll notice that he is only just seeing the full boxout, the gap between the boxout & the right hand edge of the screen, which was visible before Cellcast fucked up the broadcast, is not visible, so he’s only seeing a wee bit more of the picture than we are, not the full picture; one possible explanation could be that his TV is set up (either internally, or through a service menu, rather than by using normal user controls) to display more of the image than is normal e.g. it has less overscan than is typical, thus the edges of the image, which would normally be hidden ‘off the screen’, are visible, just sufficient to show the full boxout, where we only see, what, 2/3 of it? Similarly, there are other parameters involved in the technical set-up of a TV that could be different from the norm, resulting in more of the mage being visible.

Just a guess!
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2009 01:44 by Censorship :-(.)
08-06-2009 01:42
vila Offline
Viewers' Champion

Don't forget that it's a quite old TV he's got there and it's not a flat screen either. I think the age of the tube might cause a slightly different display. If his picture was cropped as ours is we wouldn't see anything like as much of that box as we can see in his caps.

Edit: I'm almost in tears. Paige has been on but I found the constant shape-shifting between the short dumpy standing up Paige and the ultra-slim lying down Paige so disorientating that, despite the fact that I was looking at one of the most gorgeous creatures in the universe, I couldn't even raise a stiffy.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2009 02:29 by vila.)
08-06-2009 02:18
Thread Closed 

Click here to watch Babestation TV