• 27 Vote(s) - 2.81 Average

Display problems on Freeview channel 33

Censorship :-( Away
Sadly, no more caps. :-(

RE: Babestation on Freeview channel 33
shandyman Wrote:
Censorship :-( Wrote:
shandyman Wrote:
Censorship :-( Wrote:Has anyone else noticed the distorted picture on BS last night & tonight? It looks as though the 4:3 source has been stretched, presumably to 16:9, then broadcast as 4:3, which means that it cannot be corrected by the viewer, unlike on PP, where they also distort the 4:3 source, but broadcast it as 16:9, meaning that it can be corrected by manually switching your TV back to 4:3.

Does anyone know if BS is broadcast as 16:9 on $ky (distorted, like PP), and if so, has this always been the case, or did it start two nights ago, by any chance?

Personally, I think it looks awful; pretty much ‘unwatchable’, in fact. annoyed annoyed annoyed

they changed to broadcast in 16:9, which screwed me cos i don't have a widescreen, so on my 4:3 telly i was missing the head off camilla lol. last night, after a discussion in the chatbox last night, those of us that had a problem changed the setting on the sky box to not have the picture in normal 4:3, but to go to 4:3L (fake widescreen for 4:3 tellies) or 16:9. so maybe your freeview box is doing the same sort of thing? have a play in the settings and see, its prob default set to show the picture in 4:3 and thats whats messed it up, it looks like all the sky boxes do it in 4:3 by default

All of my equipment is set to automatically display incoming signals correctly; the broadcaster has definitely fucked up, deliberately or otherwise.
When you say that they have switched to 16:9, do you mean genuine 16:9 i.e. shot in 16:9 and broadcast as such, or is it still shot in 4:3, but broadcast as 16:9, meaning that the picture will be stretched horizontally, as is (or at least, was) the case on PP?

Given that this has been the case for two nights in a row, either Cellcast are the most incompetent bunch of fuckwits around, or they are deliberately distorting the picture, to give the impression that they are broadcasting genuine 16:9.

Wonder what the babes think about it, assuming they know? Given the horizontal stretching, they look, um, how shall I put it… less ‘slim’ than they do in reality; not very flattering, now, is it?? ‘Does my ass look big in this’? Well, if you are currently appearing on BS at the moment, then the answer, sadly, is yes!

nope, shot and broadcast in 16:9. they're not stretched, they're proportionally correct. i've changed the settings on the little freeview box i pilfered from the back room and will test it tonight along with my freeview usb stick on the pc too just to check.

also someone said on another thread that the 900 channels on sky don't indicate for the auto switching on the sky box to change to 16:9 which is why some of us had troubles, so same could be with freeview and you have to manually set it to 16:9 like we did.

No, quite the reverse, in fact - see my reply to Vila re. genuine 16:9 broadcast as 4:3 i.e. without the switching signal.

If you select 16:9 manually, you are stretching the picture more, and it looks even worse!

I'm interested to hear what you think when comparing your $ky & Freeview.
06-06-2009 00:19
Find all posts by this user
Shandy Offline

bs & pp are now shot and broadcasted in 16:9, but the box settings on the sky and the freeview box i am using, when set to auto detect, don't recognise it as that for some reason and thinks its 4:3 so i was missing bits off the edge of the screen (as i said someone said these channels don't include the trigger in the signal or something) so manually telling the box its actually 16:9 (or 4:3L for me since i don't have a widescreen telly) doesn't stretch it at all, it corrects it, now i have a normal looking proportionally correct image, but with black bars on the top and bottom

Edit - this is now what my freeview picture looks like, soz for the quality, took it with my phone as it was the only way.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2009 00:32 by Shandy.)
06-06-2009 00:27

shandyman Wrote:bs & pp are now shot and broadcasted in 16:9, but the box settings on the sky and the freeview box i am using, when set to auto detect, don't recognise it as that for some reason and thinks its 4:3 so i was missing bits off the edge of the screen (as i said someone said these channels don't include the trigger in the signal or something) so manually telling the box its actually 16:9 (or 4:3L for me since i don't have a widescreen telly) doesn't stretch it at all, it corrects it, now i have a normal looking proportionally correct image, but with black bars on the top and bottom

Edit - this is now what my freeview picture looks like, soz for the quality, took it with my phone as it was the only way.

Thanks for going to the trouble of taking a picture.

How does it look when the babes are in the box at the top right of the screen - is one of the babes almost completely missing?
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2009 00:52 by Censorship :-(.)
06-06-2009 00:51

shandyman Wrote:additionally, we have a guy that works on the show (babestationpartyp) in the chat and i just asked him, he confirmed shot and broadcasting in 16:9.

Is he talking about $ky? Has he checked Freeview?
06-06-2009 00:53
Shandy Offline

applies to both
06-06-2009 00:56
Shandy Offline

shandyman Wrote:bs & pp are now shot and broadcasted in 16:9, but the box settings on the sky and the freeview box i am using, when set to auto detect, don't recognise it as that for some reason and thinks its 4:3 so i was missing bits off the edge of the screen (as i said someone said these channels don't include the trigger in the signal or something) so manually telling the box its actually 16:9 (or 4:3L for me since i don't have a widescreen telly) doesn't stretch it at all, it corrects it, now i have a normal looking proportionally correct image, but with black bars on the top and bottom

How does it look when the babes are in the box at the top right of the screen - is one of the babes almost completely missing?

nope, the whole picture is there, i can see both camilla and dionne at the mo and i'm not missing anything, if i put it to auto, its screwed. so you just have to find in the settings where to tell it to use the 16:9 format (or 4:3L if i you don't have a widescreen telly).
06-06-2009 00:58

shandyman Wrote:

nope, the whole picture is there, i can see both camilla and dionne at the mo and i'm not missing anything, if i put it to auto, its screwed. so you just have to find in the settings where to tell it to use the 16:9 format (or 4:3L if i you don't have a widescreen telly).

I have a widescreen TV, set, as mentioned previously, to display incoming signals correctly. All other channels are correct; BS was until 3 nights ago, but no matter what settings are used, it is now incorrect i.e. stretched horizontally/distorted, with one of the babes in the box partially missing (depending on how they are framed by the cameraman) – Frankly, I cannot see how it is possible that BS is shot in 16:9, and broadcast as such, not on Freeview, anyway. As mentioned, if manually set to 16:9, it stretches the already distorted picture further, making it look worse. As also mentioned, if it was a 16:9 source broadcast without a switching signal, then it would be compressed, not stretched horizontally

PL IS shot & broadcast in 16:9, and looks fine/correct, BS does not. PP was shot in 4:3, but broadcast as 16:9, which meant that a manual correction back to 4:3 was required, to display the picture correctly. As mentioned, I have not seen PP recently, so cannot comment on how it looks at the moment.

What, exactly, are the options you have on your TV and STB? Are there separate settings for the type of TV (4:3/16:9, or perhaps normal/widescreen), as well as a setting for how to display the incoming signal e.g. letterbox, pillar box etc?

For the record, my STB & IDTV are both displaying the same, distorted picture.
06-06-2009 01:29
Shandy Offline

Just went into settings and found picture format, didn't touch the tv settings at first. On my screen, which isn't widescreen, I was missing the sides, when I put it to 16:9 the sides were in the screen but it was stretched, so had topush the 16:9 button on the tv remote so it compressed it vertically giving me black bars on it.

On the sky box instead of putting it to 16:9 I put it to 4:3L which does the same thing as the 16:9 button on my tv remote, give the black bars.

With so many different makes of freeview box I spose it comes down to fiddling, deb said in the chatroom she found the setting on hers and sorted babestation on hers, so it can be done.
06-06-2009 01:40
Shandy Offline

Plus the guy that works there said as of the other day it's shot and broadcasted in 16:9 so us sky viewers can sort the setting and it looks right and at least 2 freeview people have got done the same, just shows that the bspp person was correct.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2009 01:47 by Shandy.)
06-06-2009 01:44

shandyman Wrote:Plus the guy that works there said as of the other day it's shot and broadcasted in 16:9 so us sky viewers can sort the setting and it looks right and at least 2 freeview people have got done the same, just shows that the bspp person was correct.

I'm not sure what is gong on, but I remain convinced that the broadcast is at fault - Do you know if it is possible to contact Cellcast, with regard to this problem?
06-06-2009 02:07
Thread Closed 

Click here to watch Babestation TV