Thread Rating:
  • 24 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average

A PM to Admin, posted as an open letter...

jordo Offline
L.F.C

RE: A PM to Admin, posted as an open letter...
kalel76 Wrote:Mr gummidge is a top guy in my book

The last person to say that was holding the FBI's most wanted list! Tongue
10-02-2009 22:50
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
oopnorth Offline
it's grim

I too am very happy to support the cause, and the idea of one or two more mods to help tidy up the threads especially. There's probably one or two obvious names to consider to potentially fill the position, mr gummidge being one, but that lazy sentence construction rules him out in my book.Big Grin
10-02-2009 22:59
jordo Offline
L.F.C

LOL Come on give him a break! You'll drive the poor bugger to suicide Tongue
10-02-2009 23:05
Mister Gummidge Offline
Professional Strawman

First things first. The reply to the message that was sent to admin... (I've been capitalising that for ages and never noticed it was lower caseSad)

admin Wrote:Hi mr gummidge

No, not offended.

The forum has grown very fast and this has brought a lot of difficulties. Obviously it's nice that the forum is successful and popular, but any forum that grows at the rate that this has can easily spiral out of control. It's quite a challenge to stop that happening and as a result changes to the forum are always being considered.

This isn't a forum where many things are set in stone and suggestions on how things can be improved are always welcome. I hope everyone can understand that it's the growth of the forum that leads to the problems you mentioned. If the forum had only 100 members for example, it would be incredibly tidy and well maintained.

I will consider all of the suggestions made and reply as soon as possible. I may have to reply to one issue raised at a time, but they will all get answered.

It's a positive thing to receive suggestions as all input is valuable when considering what steps to take to improve the forum. Since there are undoubtedly some areas where things could be improved, it's helpful to know what ideas regular users of the forum have.

If you think of anything else that got missed off your letter, let me know about that too.

Forum Admin

Second things second, @oopnorth - While I'm very flattered that anyone would consider me for anything that resembles a position of authority, my coding skills could be written on the back of a postage stamp and there are plenty of other members of longer standing and better reputation than me.

"You say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I say that I tailor my jokes to the audience..."
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2009 23:18 by Mister Gummidge.)
10-02-2009 23:16
G@Z! Offline
Banned

oh don't be so modest mr g
10-02-2009 23:22
Red Offline
Knight Errant?

Coding skills required to run a forum?!
Very few bits of forum maintenance require any coding skill and I don't know of any required at mod level so stop trying to worm your way out of a 24/7 job Mr G Wink

I don't even know who I am so you'll forgive me if I ask 'Who the f**k do you think you are?!'
11-02-2009 02:12
Mister Gummidge Offline
Professional Strawman

There is also my lack of experience to consider. I've never moderated my opinions, let alone other peoples and this is the first forum I've contributed more than one or two posts to! While I would be deeply flattered if asked and would accept, because of my enjoyment of the forum. I feel that a more net-savvy head is needed...

Perhaps one with a firm grip of technical issues, personal connections with some of the people involved at the channels, a sound grasp of modern and classical literature and a van with a BelfastBadBoy shaped absence... Whoever on this site would fill a hole of that exact shape though?Wink Where would we find a Knight Errant to help us in our hour of need? Where indeed Red? (Yes, bonny lad. I god-damned dareTongue)

Seriously though, it's not up to us lot to speculate or nominate. If admin were to decide to add an extra mod or two, I have no doubt that he has his own opinions on the subject and whoever he asks would be exactly the right person for the job.

"You say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I say that I tailor my jokes to the audience..."
11-02-2009 02:39
G@Z! Offline
Banned

ok but there is only one man for the job and seeing were not nominating i will not say who he is but it is not me who nominates themselves lol Big Grin
11-02-2009 02:42
chrislatimer Offline
Banned

a lot has changed whilst i have been departed. i read gummidge;s letter and was very impressed by the poise of it.

i know who id nominate but i dont wanna embrassres them lol.
11-02-2009 03:04
speedybert Away
Posting Machine

Just leave to admin to contact those members they think might make good mods,otherwise it all gets a bit "choose me","no me","what about me then".

Also not keen on treating new members any differently from anyone else.Those that are just "surfing",soon leave anyway.If they want to grab screencaps/vids etc thats probably why they are here in the first place because they have googled a model's name and up this forum comes.New members will get the feel of this forum off their own bat pretty quickly after being on here for a few days,if not hours.They will make up their own minds and stay or go.Their choice.This is after all a forum and not a PLC.You should never be expected to have to undergo some sort of trial period of "worthiness" to asses your value to the forum.
11-02-2009 11:01