Thread Rating:
  • 24 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average

A PM to Admin, posted as an open letter...

Mister Gummidge Offline
Professional Strawman

A PM to Admin, posted as an open letter...
Hello everyone. Some people may have had a butcher's at the shoutbox over the last couple of nights and noticed a few of the more long term members of the site having a bit of a gripe about how things are becoming lately, referring to private messages sent between each other about possible solutions and discussing taking our concerns to Admin.

In order to head off any accusations about a clique forming, or a few of us trying to throw our weight around we've decided that it would be a good idea to post the message we finally agreed on as a public letter so that everyone can see what we're about.

Two minor points to make before the letter:-

1 - Some of you may feel that criticism of our current mod, SMc, is somehow inferred. Nothing could be further from the truth. The consensus is that SMc is doing an excellent job bearing in mind the demands on his time from work, homelife, moderating and his excellent posting in the Party People at 3am and Party Girls threads in particular...

2 - The quoted text below is the exact message sent to Admin, word for word, with one notable exception. While the footnote says that real names were used for some of those who "signed" the PM, I have edited the text so as only usernames appear as the real names were used in private conversation and I haven't sought permission to post peoples real names. Mine remains, as it's freely available to anyone who clicks the blog link in my sig. line. this is the only edit. I even left in a typo, which grieves me in a way you wouldn't believe...

mr gummidge Wrote:Hi Admin,
A few of us lately have been chatting in the shoutbox about the state of the forum as things stand (as you're no doubt aware). First of all, let me say that we all love being on the forum; that's why we're sending this message as opposed to leaving and looking for other sites to hang around on. The problem all of us have, is that the forum is becoming unwieldy. Duplicate threads are popping up like chickweeds, threads are repeatedly placed in the wrong forums, and despite the overwhelmingly friendly nature of the site and it's users when flame wars erupt they often spread over several pages of a thread before being halted, threads are being used as private chatrooms (something many were guilty of before the advent of the shoutbox) and the general feel of the place has become niggly and short tempered because of this. With this being the case, several of us have been chatting about ideas that we think would benefit the forum.

Foremost amongst those ideas is the appointing of several moderators, one or two of whom would be a senior moderator having enough administrative rights to delete or merge duplicated threads, along with the ability to delete posts that are grossly offensive or libelous as well as taking down copyrighted material in the event of a request for such. The others would have more basic access for managing less active forums.

The other ideas include the posting of sticky threads at the top of every page in each channel forum, containing the list of who is appearing on the channel that night. Prominently placed FAQ's in each of the major sections about what is expected from those posting on the board as a whole as well as information about the specific forums therein and also possibly limiting the sections in which new members can post threads and replies for a set number of posts, to allow new members to settle in more gently and see how the forum works rather than being thrown in at the deep end.

Please understand that we in no way wish to criticize the way the forum has been run thus far, we merely feel that as one of the fastest growing and most active forums of its type on the web that things are fast growing beyond the point at which one or two people can maintain them and have any semblance of real world life as well. Several of us have discussed this thoroughly and are more than willing to help in any way that we can, be it as volunteer moderators or writing FAQ's etc.

We all hope you're not offended by this message and our offer to help maintain the site we enjoy using so much and hope to hear back from you regarding the ideas we've put forward.

One other thing that we should make abundantly clear is that while we as a group are the ones asking for these changes, we in no way wish to imply that any of us are suggesting you should appoint any or all of us as moderators. Of course any hypothetical appointments should be at your discretion and yours alone, we are merely letting you know that we -and no doubt others too- are willing to help.

Thanks for listening,

Dan (mr gummidge)*

****** (Anonymity)*

****** (rover)*

shavedcok

jordo

G@Z!

oopnorth

****** (doc7576)*

* Real names are included where they've been given, in order to make it clear that this is something many of us have put together, rather than a few names I've grabbed from thin air after a chat in the shoutbox. All names on the list have read the letter and approved the contents.

A long and no doubt boring post, for the majority of you to trudge through, but in the interest of honesty and clarity we thought it was for the best to put it here for all to see.

Cheers,

Dan.

"You say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I say that I tailor my jokes to the audience..."
09-02-2009 23:45
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mozza Offline
Master Poster

RE: A PM to Admin, posted as an open letter...
makes more sense than your usual ramblings mr.g Tongue all good points tho mate, have to see if it has any effect on the forumSmile
09-02-2009 23:56
m100 Away
Banned

Agree 100%.

would all those wishing to take part in today's round of multiple username bingo please note emails must be submitted before 5pm
10-02-2009 00:00
*Kal-El* Away
Superman

Couldn't have said it better myself mr gummidge.

"No Clark I know Everything About You, I Didn’t Just Borrow Your DNA, I Have All Your Memories All Your Thoughts......Every Last Twisted One of Them”.
10-02-2009 02:11
Signboy Offline
Master Poster

Some very good points, Especially the comment about member using threads as private chatrooms, I was reading one the other day where 2 member where going back and forth with mindless drivel over 15 pages in one day, Of the 147 posts they where responsible for 98 of them, This was for only 1 thread, Couldn't be bothered counting the others. This is just making threads huge for no reason. Hopefully this sort of rubbish will be deleted in future.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2009 05:05 by Signboy.)
10-02-2009 05:04
Red Offline
Knight Errant?

Point
See the mail is in general terms what I've posted elsewhere so I'm in on this. You might want to try the email address if Admin is slow at picking up the PM though as I'm sure they get more PMs to trawl through than emails.
Oh and I doubt I'd be in the running for a mod but don't you god-damn dare. I ain't got the time and I'm way to biased in my opinions for such an open forum

I don't even know who I am so you'll forgive me if I ask 'Who the f**k do you think you are?!'
10-02-2009 05:43
rumbletum Offline
Senior Poster

Well done guys, you have said what, no doubt, many other people have been thinking in a very mature, respectful way. I agree with the ideas you have proposed fully and would like to offer my services for anything that may be required. I realise that I am relatively new to this forum compared to some but (like your good selves) I also feel that this is one of the best forums around which has sadly deteriorated in certain aspects (flaming, repetitious postings etc...) over the recent weeks.

Much respect to you guys.

Daz (a.k.a. Rumbletum)

Remember folks .... It's better to burn out than to fade away...
10-02-2009 10:18
skully Offline

Very well put Mr Gummidge, (you make a lot of sense guys), I agree with your points.

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Tha thu 'nad fhaighean.
10-02-2009 12:49
TheWatcher Offline
Ex Moderator

I agree totally with the points made in the letter.
I am all in favour of anything that can be done to reduce some of the chaos that we have on the forum.
10-02-2009 13:08
DrGrumpyPants Away
Account closed

yes very good points thanks for the discussion on the shoutbox the other night seemed from which this came from glad u took some of my points aboard. should do it on a fairly regular footing that way might be able to solve any major discontent before it gets chance to grow. like i said in the shoutbox if u need any help of any kind dont hestitate to ask.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2009 15:06 by DrGrumpyPants.)
10-02-2009 15:05