Poll: Would You Consider Calling The Babes If Prices Were Lowered?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62.50% 10 62.50%
No 37.50% 6 37.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average

Time For A Review On Call Charges?

Light Entertainment Offline
Senior Poster

RE: Time For A Review On Call Charges?
It’s interesting to read the different views on this. I agree that all business will inevitably charge as much as the market will stand. But the issues of why the market will stand high prices haven’t really been explored yet.

The people contributing to this thread are considered, so the discussion is considered, even if not everyone agrees. However, these services are often far from a considered spend (due to factors such as alcohol, etc), and I think this is a major factor in a channel maintaining a higher price. I've noticed in some of the pitches, for example, some channels will say "Don’t think about it, just do it". So the shows are obviously well aware of how dependent they are on the customer's lack, or suspension, of consideration. If people aren't concentrating on their (or even someone else's) impending phone bills when they call, it barely matters how much per minute the service costs. And the delay in billing with contract phones or landlines probably softens up the viewer even further. Vendors of non-essential goods and services depend heavily on delayed payment to detach the customer from the reality of paying. Something you have to pay for in a couple of months can seem much more attractive a proposition than something you have to pay for this second. It doesn't wash with everyone, but it's effective in a lot of cases. Again, I've seen suggestions in pitches that the shows see this as significant.

As for the channels with lower costs per minute, I suppose their business model deliberately targets the considered customers, who know in advance that they'll want to use the service, and are in a position to think things through. Getting the allegiance of those customers is a good way of compensating for a lower show profile. But with a higher profile show, no matter how much babe channel fans might wish for lower prices, there'll always be a healthy supply of viewers who, for one reason or another, aren't thinking about money when they pull out their phones.

As for the actual value for money, none of the above is to suggest that the girls don't justify £1.50 or £2 per minute. I've never actually spoken to any girl, on any show. I think that takes a certain confidence, and to an extent, and exhibitionist tendency, which lots of viewers don't have. But I've heard plenty of the girls on calls, and I can well believe that talking to some of them is an experience to remember for life. I've no doubt the girls themselves are the biggest reason of all why prices have held or even stood an increase amid economic gloom.
03-10-2010 12:11
Find all posts by this user
Krill Liberator Offline
Vapid Response Unit

(02-10-2010 19:51 )just mark Wrote:  The retail price is decided by what people are prepared to pay, if people are paying £1.50 at the moment then a show has no reason to reduce these costs, they are there to make money from you much more than they are to provide you entertainment.
Yep, it's like any other market - take energy for example; wind costs less per unit to generate than fossil, but you'll never see cheaper wind-gen'd electricity on offer because the consumer generates the demand and needs the service, so why on earth would the service provider throw away extra profit with no good reason?
The cold, hard logic behind this thread is terrifying.
I feel most un-horny now.....
hang on, ..... no i don't.Wink

Missing key events. Talking bollocks. Making stuff up.
~~~SAVE THE KRILL!~~~
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2010 13:47 by Krill Liberator.)
03-10-2010 13:45
Krill Liberator Offline
Vapid Response Unit

(03-10-2010 12:11 )Light Entertainment Wrote:  It’s interesting to read the different views on this. I agree that all business will inevitably charge as much as the market will stand. But the issues of why the market will stand high prices haven’t really been explored yet.

The people contributing to this thread are considered, so the discussion is considered, even if not everyone agrees. However, these services are often far from a considered spend (due to factors such as alcohol, etc), and I think this is a major factor in a channel maintaining a higher price. I've noticed in some of the pitches, for example, some channels will say "Don’t think about it, just do it".

As for the actual value for money, none of the above is to suggest that the girls don't justify £1.50 or £2 per minute. I've never actually spoken to any girl, on any show. I think that takes a certain confidence, and to an extent, and exhibitionist tendency, which lots of viewers don't have. But I've heard plenty of the girls on calls, and I can well believe that talking to some of them is an experience to remember for life. I've no doubt the girls themselves are the biggest reason of all why prices have held or even stood an increase amid economic gloom.
Good points. In respect of the 'impulse call' issue, I have to confess (I don't actually HAVE to, but I will anyway) that I've been there, done that and worn the silly grin. And yes, it was on a land-line; a call to the excellent Lady V during an afternoon edition of The Pad, where I cared not at the time about cost PRECISELY because of the time-delay. Spot on, LE, well done there! Incidentally, I've only done that the once, because consideration dictates that it would be silly, willy-nilly.

In as far as that first call to a night-show girl goes? Well, I did the listen-in thing a few times before I finally took the plunge and yes, there's a strong element of self-exposure involved and you've really got to be okay with that. The biggest thing is knowing that perhaps others will be listening to what's going on. If you ain't okay with that, then it's not right for you! That's a separate topic, but I'd just add that we're all calling for the same reason so if we accept that then the problem vanishes.
Is it worth it? I restrict myself to P'nG mobile usage for this DIRTY, DIRTY little activity so I am very well aware of the potential costs involved, but I do it anyway. So, if a consumer bites, and then another and another, then the price has to be right.
The forum's still here, discussing the shows which are (Ofcom notwithstanding) still here, so I guess we are getting somewhere near to a definitive answer. But it's market forces we'e talking about and who knows what might happen further down the line? We may all end up so broke that the shows are forced to try something radical; I'm not sure I'll see it anytime soon.

Missing key events. Talking bollocks. Making stuff up.
~~~SAVE THE KRILL!~~~
03-10-2010 14:06
Thread Closed