Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 2.95 Average

Slip Of The Day Thread - Structure/Format/Merits Discussion

speedybert Away
Posting Machine

RE: Slip Of The Day Thread - Discussion on Structure

If you can't say anything nice.....join the club!!
10-02-2010 10:41
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vostok 1 Offline
Twitter Troll

(10-02-2010 10:41 )speedybert Wrote:  http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/drivel-defence.html

I downloaded that programme, however my PC locked up and crashed when it tried to decipher "raison d'être".
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2010 13:52 by vostok 1.)
10-02-2010 13:51
EmilyCharlotteJones Offline
sick and twisted

(10-02-2010 13:51 )vostok 1 Wrote:  
(10-02-2010 10:41 )speedybert Wrote:  http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/
I downloaded that programme, however my PC locked up and crashed when it tried to decipher "raison d'être".

The expression is in The Oxford English Dictionary and The New Oxford American Dictionary also, thus your comments are not needed, for it is a part of the English langauge:-

raison d'être |ˈreɪzɒ˜ ˌdɛtrə| |ʀɛzɔ˜ dɛtʀ|
noun ( pl. raisons d'être )
the most important reason or purpose for someone or something's existence : an institution whose raison d'être is public service broadcasting.
ORIGIN French, literally ‘reason for being.’
10-02-2010 20:20
vostok 1 Offline
Twitter Troll

(10-02-2010 20:20 )EmilyCharlotteJones Wrote:  The expression is in The Oxford English Dictionary and The New Oxford American Dictionary also, thus your comments are not needed, for it is a part of the English langauge

A dictionary obviously is needed by myself though, hence: http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/drivel-defence.html

"raison d'être"
In the truest sense of raison d'être, French philosophers lay an elaborate road map of descriptive text that contrasts the current status of an implementation of a prototypical object with the purist view of perfection that the object should achieve without hindrance from imperfections. The philosophical road map brings to a crescendo the imperative urgency that motivates participants to immediately take the steps necessary to achieve all the intended qualities that an object was designed to exemplify.

"raison d'être" would make a great name for a flavour of this branded ice cream:

ImageChunk.com
10-02-2010 21:15
kimosabi Offline
Junior Poster

well thats the first time anybody has ever agreed with something i've thought of, unless it's 'should i go'

but it was blatantly obvious (even to me) that the thread had degraded into a mere shadow of what it was supposed to be.
after ECJ's comment, nothing i could think would be suitable follow, made me feel rather dense reading that actually, though i don't claim to be well educated, an idiot would be more precise, or is it that i'm smart enough to know i'm an idiot, we shall see.

cheers emily for adding a little eloquence into my idea, and slamming us like the slobbish idiots we can be. made me laugh quite a bit, cheers Smile
11-02-2010 00:18
amirsworld Offline
Apprentice Poster

[split] Slip Of The Day
This thread has become appalling full of what to post and what not to post, so what do we get instead reams of type and no bloody caps. I'm sure i'll get negative rep but maybe it'll be counterbalanced by some rep from those that agree with me.
11-02-2010 01:59
Bluearmy71 Offline
Army Of Blue

RE: Slip Of The Day
(11-02-2010 01:59 )amirsworld Wrote:  This thread has become appalling full of what to post and what not to post, so what do we get instead reams of type and no bloody caps. I'm sure i'll get negative rep but maybe it'll be counterbalanced by some rep from those that agree with me.

Without pointing out the complete obvious.....slips do not happen everyday......oh damn I did point out the complete obvious! Rolleyes
13-02-2010 23:19
Chilly Away
Posting Machine

(11-02-2010 01:59 )amirsworld Wrote:  This thread has become appalling full of what to post and what not to post, so what do we get instead reams of type and no bloody caps. I'm sure i'll get negative rep but maybe it'll be counterbalanced by some rep from those that agree with me.

You better get posting some caps then. Tongue Oh, your rep is classic! Big Laugh
13-02-2010 23:24
EmilyCharlotteJones Offline
sick and twisted

[split] Slip Of The Day
(01-07-2009 19:46 )Bluearmy71 Wrote:  I thought this was a good idea for a thread, obviously nipple slips or if we are ever lucky enough to have them a pussy slip don't happen everyday, so it will be cool if the best caps are gathered in one place, and if this thread doesn't take off please remove it :)

I will never begin to fully cogitate and contemplate to the point of understanding the point or aim of this whole particular thread. Its very existence is both an anomaly and it can be self-justified only oxymoronically. Thus, it has none with which to substantiate itself. The reasoning is simple: Considering the night shows exist and the Ladies show their breasts and actually fully disrobe at that time as a rule, what is the point of this entire thread and it's off shoots within The Twilight Zone…? Absolutely none at all, as far as any reasonable and logical person can attest… Therefore, we are witnessing the distressing debacle of a group of men with absolutely nothing better to do, or so it would seem…

Therefore, for this reason and many others besides, it is actually deplorable to an extent. It is also quite obviously most lamentable, fruitless, and borders on the ridiculous, not the sublime and is certainly puerile…

( I am exempting all
Moderators and Administrators from these remarks )
(This post was last modified: 18-02-2010 23:11 by EmilyCharlotteJones.)
18-02-2010 22:59
Chilly Away
Posting Machine

^^^^ Don't understand a word of that. All I know is nip slips rule! Big Grin
18-02-2010 23:06