Click here to watch Studio 66

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[split] Football Banter

setter1000 Offline
Posting Machine

[split] Football Banter
(24-07-2015 22:36 )stowman Wrote:  Good to see the authorities treating sectarian abuse so harshly as there is no place for it or racism in football. Also noticed that McClean is to be paid £5 a week for two years for damages to his Masarati by a man in Northern Ireland.

The English are a race so going by your sentiment that there is no place for racism in football McLean should be in the dock.
If Maclean still harbours resentment at the English for bloody Sunday killings I suggest 1 of 2 strategies
1) refuse to apply his trade in England or
2) send some of his vast wages back to Derry so that the good folk can employ the best builders that money can buy, build a bridge and enable the good people of Derry to get over It
(This post was last modified: 24-07-2015 23:49 by setter1000.)
24-07-2015 23:39
Find all posts by this user
terence Offline

RE: Football Banter
^wow, that post manages to be both spectacularly wrong and ignorant in equal amounts, at the same time. impressive.

Chuck Norris has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19). the virus is now in quarantine for 14 days.
25-07-2015 00:55
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
setter1000 Offline
Posting Machine

^^^^^^^^^^^
in what way is my post spectacularly wrong and ignorant? I have merely stated my opinion.
It seems to me you think that because it's not an opinion you agree with.

It would be nice if you just gave a counter argument to any points I make or opinions I state which you may disagree with, rather than just just insulting my post.
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2015 01:43 by setter1000.)
25-07-2015 01:34
terence Offline

ok, the wrong bits: being english is not a race it's a nationality, so he would be bigoted not racist.
second, refusing to wear a poppy or face a flag while a national anthem is being played at a sporting event does not make you racist, bigoted or anything else but principled.
and your remark about the the derry people building a bridge to get over 14 of their people (mostly teenagers) being murdered by the british army and by extension the british government, is at best ignorant and at worst offensive, bordering sectarian.

good enough?

Chuck Norris has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19). the virus is now in quarantine for 14 days.
25-07-2015 01:48
setter1000 Offline
Posting Machine

The English are a race I think you will find. My comment in regard to McLean was a half joking one. I should have used smilies to show that

Maclean blatantly snubbed the English anthem. He was in the middle of a football pitch and deliberately went against protocol. He stood out like the proverbial sore thumb. If he were in the crowd and did what he did I would think fair enough. But to overtly snub the English anthem the way he did was disgusting in my book. Rightly or wrongly his behaviour will be construed as being a political statement very much sympathising with the IRA. I'm half Irish and would be considered catholic. Yet all my Irish relatives think McLean behaviour is that of an ignorant man. I Have stated that bloody Sunday was a disgrace but it was a long time ago.
The IRA have not exactly behaved like angels either
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...ce_process
They even murdered Mountbatten in cold blood . Yet you know what. They have been forgiven it was a long time ago.
Just an opinion.
Bye the way been told by an Irish civil servant that most Irishmen both sides of the boarder don't want a fully united Ireland. The argument being that northern Ireland is Adequately protected by the British forces. He pointed out that should northern Ireland be invaded it would remain unopposed for about 10 mins before the invaders would be facing the threat of being attacked by the air force. Northern Ireland have the British tax payers to thank for that.

Sorry if I come across as ignorant.
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2015 02:18 by setter1000.)
25-07-2015 02:16
terence Offline

politics is a minefield that i try to avoid at all costs. all i will say is that where the lad was brought up his behavior is understandable. i'm sure he's not anti english but he'll have his issues with the british army and government, namely thatcher. remember these derry youngsters weren't shot in the city center or blown up by indiscriminate bombings, they were shot in cold blood in their housing estate while attending a civil rights march. i don't think anyone can or should tell them the required mourning time frame and to tell them to just get over it when not one person has been tried for the crime is not anyone's place.

and i'm not and would never condone what the ira did. i abhor all violence, no matter who perpetrates it.

i understand your views but this subject is never simple!

25-07-2015 11:37
setter1000 Offline
Posting Machine

RE: [split] Football Banter
I know where you are coming from.
Back to the matter in hand you think what he did was principled and I respect that. I personally believe that what he did was misguided. I think though that if Anelka act was worthy of a sacking than so is McLean's. I personally believe that both acts should be worthy of a severe reprimand and warning.

Ps why is this banished to the flames? Not as if we are insulting each other on a personal level.
25-07-2015 13:29
terence Offline

RE: [split] Football Banter
i couldn't find anywhere else for this to go. the tzone is not just for arguments, it's for anything that goes off topic but doesn't have an obvious home. Smile

25-07-2015 13:32
Thread Closed 

Click here to watch Studio 66