Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.38 Average

Petition

continental19 Offline
Posting Machine

RE: Petition
You've got my vote 100% just let me no where to put my signature. As i put in one of my posts, enough of the talking we need to take action " so lets do it ":)
15-08-2011 20:21
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grawth Offline
Senior Poster

Whilst I agree that the arguments you use are well-expressed and logical, I fear you may be right in saying that as a whole it is too long for the average punter to bother with. You might be better off cuttin it as short as possible, something like

"We believe that after 10 pm, with appropriate measures in place such as age verification, pin protection, and the ability to permanently block channels, censorship is not needed and adults should be free to choose what they want to watch"
15-08-2011 23:41
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

Good points. I deliberately mentioned cuddy Lee Evans rather than Frankie Boyle because any mention of FB will get some peoples backs up and because Ofcom did uphold a complaint against him - he is not the best example of a widely accepted comedien who uses strong language.

I might be wrong, but I think once the BBCF has issued a certificate, that is it, they cannot revoke it several years later, but thats a point for MPs to thrash out.

Gone fishing
16-08-2011 02:00
arron88 Offline
Junior Poster

(16-08-2011 02:00 )eccles Wrote:  I might be wrong, but I think once the BBCF has issued a certificate, that is it, they cannot revoke it several years later, but thats a point for MPs to thrash out.

I am sure that law to revoke has already been passed but the MPs didn't discuss it.
16-08-2011 02:57
Scottishbloke Away
Banned

Well under the European Human Rights act Ofcom are and have been breaking the law now for years, it's their job and only their job to lightly moderate the content and whether it is suitable or not for a specific time or channel and they have been anything but light on the Babe Channels or Encrypted ones. So irrespective of whether or not 100,000 signatures is going to force a debate on Ofcom in the House Of Commons remains to be seen but one thing that is fact with Great Britain being part of the European Union the Adult Channels have as much right to broadcast the same content as seen in most other European Countries. And even if Ofcom remain this will need to be addressed with immediate effect. You simply cannot discriminate against a select choice of channels down to your own morals or opinions as this shows bias and inequality which is not allowed under a Western Democracy. So if Ofcom aren't defeated in this Country under the European Union other avenues can be pursued. The buck doesn't stop with what this lot of MP'S decide.
16-08-2011 06:02
continental19 Offline
Posting Machine

Well I'll be leaving these shores over the weekend for 2 weeks, and when i get back, will things have miraculously changed? I don't think so, I agree of what's been said about the EU, how these things will come to light, and how long this will take is anyone's guess.
I'm not a politician, I don't no how we go about all of this, but I think the Brussels EU idea sounds the right way to go, in otherwords bypass the UK and head straight for the EU in my opinion, I think they'll have more power to force the hand of Ofcom than this government ever will.
(This post was last modified: 16-08-2011 11:23 by continental19.)
16-08-2011 11:22
SYBORG666 Offline
Spawn Of Satan

Count me in and it looks fine to me. I take my hat off to Eccles.

Raising Hell Since 1980.

As a man once said:
"Control yourself, your better alone"
"Control yourself, see who gives a fuck"
16-08-2011 16:24
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

Checked out the Petition website, and there is a maximum length of 1000 characters. The draft petition is about 3 times longer so Ill try and cut it down.

Gone fishing
16-08-2011 20:47
continental19 Offline
Posting Machine

(16-08-2011 20:47 )eccles Wrote:  Checked out the Petition website, and there is a maximum length of 1000 characters. The draft petition is about 3 times longer so Ill try and cut it down.
Just let me no when you finish your final draft and I'll be one of the first to sign it, and get the ball rolling.
(This post was last modified: 16-08-2011 21:49 by continental19.)
16-08-2011 21:47
eccles Offline
custodes qui custodiet

Heres the shorter version. Achieving the 1000 character limit meant dropping all the examples and justifications. This is better than breaking it up into 4 separate petitions, one for each point, as they would blocked on the grounds that they have supposedly similar aims.

Quote:We believe that after the 9pm watershed adults should be free to make their own informed viewing choices.

1/ After 9pm encrypted television channels with age verification should be permitted to show any BBFC certificate 18 equivalent content regardless of genre, broadcaster motivation or context. The BBFC makes no such distinction and Ofcom should not either.

2/ After 10pm free-to-air adult channels should be permitted to broadcast any cert 18 equivalent content subject to adequate labelling and the ability to block them.

Sexual content on sex themed channels has attracted an extremely small number of complaints, the majority from competitors. The serious or widespread offence that Ofcom cites simply does not exist.

3/ After midnight all channels should be permitted to broadcast any cert 18 equivalent content subject to adequate labelling.

4/ After midnight encrypted television channels with age verification should be permitted to show BBFC certificate R18 content and its equivalent.

Gone fishing
16-08-2011 22:25