Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ISP's to send emails to customers who downloaded pirated files

circles_o_o_o Offline
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌║▌║

ISP's to send emails to customers who downloaded pirated files
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38583357

Quote:UK ISPs are to start sending "educational letters" to customers identified as downloading copyright material without paying for it.
It is part of the UK government's attempt to crack down on piracy.
BT, Virgin Media, TalkTalk and Sky have agreed to send the missives, which will be emailed rather than posted.
The controversial move has been years in the planning, and some experts believe it is too late to be an effective deterrent.
BT, Virgin Media and Sky will start sending out letters on 17 January, and TalkTalk's campaign will begin at the end of the month.

The BBC has seen a sample letter, which will be headed with the customer's telephone number.
It reads: "Get It Right from a Genuine Site' has got in touch with us.
"Get it Right is a government-backed campaign acting for copyright owners who think their content's been shared without their permission.
"It looks like someone has been using your broadband to share copyrighted material (that means things like music, films, sport or books).
"And as your broadband provider, we have to let you know when this happens."
It then provides a list of the content in question and directs users to a website with "tips and advice on how to stop it happening again".
11-01-2017 18:44
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tractor boy Offline
Beth's number 1 fan

RE: ISP's to send emails to customers who downloaded pirated files
I first heard of a scheme along these lines on Panorama about eight years ago, it seems it is finally happening.
11-01-2017 18:54
gunnar Offline
Posting Machine

^This would be a good time for people to get acquainted with a VPN if they haven't already done so.

“Who controls the food supply controls the people; who controls the energy can control whole continents; who controls money can control the world.”
— Henry Kissinger

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
11-01-2017 18:59
terence Offline

anybody know a good FREE vpn? Smile

Chuck Norris has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19). the virus is now in quarantine for 14 days.
11-01-2017 19:00
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gunnar Offline
Posting Machine

^ I can recommend Private Internet Access (PIA). It isn't free but it is cheap, especially if you pay for a year upfront. It is about £24.00 for a year.

“Who controls the food supply controls the people; who controls the energy can control whole continents; who controls money can control the world.”
— Henry Kissinger

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
11-01-2017 19:04
Tractor boy Offline
Beth's number 1 fan

(11-01-2017 19:04 )gunnar Wrote:  ^ I can recommend Private Internet Access (PIA). It isn't free but it is cheap, especially if you pay for a year upfront. It is about £24.00 for a year.

Well worth the money, free VPNs are always full of ads and often limit your download speeds.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 19:09 by Tractor boy.)
11-01-2017 19:08
HannahsPet Offline
Posting Machine

Apparently Kodi and streaming apps are not included

True Supporter of Girls and Not Channels !!!!!

I always Keep getting accused of thinking the world revolves around me. . i know it doesnt . . it revolves around the sun which shines out of my arse !!!!!
11-01-2017 19:29
munch1917 Offline
Silence is golden

It's only an 'educational' letter, they aren't actually doing anything, no need to panic.

They are also only targetting torrents, the bulk of my just released movie and tv show downloads these days are from file sharing sites, I only really use torrents for older stuff.

FWIW I tried PIA a few years back and found them a real pain in the ass, I gave up before my year was up (I was on slow broadband at the time, so maybe they are better at fibre speeds).
If you know a bit about what you are doing, I've tried swissvpn which was cheap and pretty good, but didn't really cut it so well when I switched to fibre, too slow. I'm currently on AirVPN, reasonably cheap, and solid and reliable, with plenty of exit nodes to play around with and find the fastest for you, but might be daunting for the non-techies.

"I'm a featherless bird ... in a sky so absurd"

Sophia - Becky - Mica - Camilla - Ella
11-01-2017 20:13
HEX!T Away
Retired

this is what happens when people dont stand up and say no to things like the snoopers charter. your privacy is a right not the suggestion Teresa may and her ilk think it is... but to keep it your going to have to fight for it. because these cunts think the law is there's to mould how they see fit...
the bill is illegal and they know it.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/pol...88041.html

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-pri...hese-will/

Any Babe pics posted are my Take on existing photographs. credits for the original images stays with the copyright holder if any rights apply.

Today im wearing a gray hat. tomorrow it might be white or black, it depends on my mood
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 20:19 by HEX!T.)
11-01-2017 20:16
munch1917 Offline
Silence is golden

^^ All well and good, but this is about copyright infringement, nothing really to do with the snoopers charter Smile

"I'm a featherless bird ... in a sky so absurd"

Sophia - Becky - Mica - Camilla - Ella
11-01-2017 20:39